stone mountain: an orientation

I am slowly acclimating to my Georgia home and my new ID reflects this reality. Sometimes I imagine I'm still in Oregon, only not with my parents. If it weren't for the 8-lane freeways, it might be a little easier. At any rate, I simply cannot grasp how far I've come. 

This week I learned the Cardinal Directions from my house and where my grocery stores are. Also, that cockroaches are a thing and that they FLY--ew. You know, basics.

I've also learned how to navigate the area enough to be able to find my way home without GPS in many cases, or to argue with my GPS in others. 

Today I climbed Stone Mountain, which for all my Oregonians, isn't really a mountain at all; it's a Butte. A granite Butte. Apparently, it is the most visited site in Georgia and it isn't far from my house. It's famous for a 360° view of the Atlanta area, and a particularly good view of the Atlanta city skyline. It's kind of overwhelming to suddenly be face-to-face with your new home in that way, but it felt great to be outdoors, even if it was crowded. There are also some lakes in the park, which I look forward to going back and exploring.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

chaos: my 2023 word of the year

Top Ten Favorite Writing Resources

Lord, have mercy.