Top Ten Favorite Writing Resources

When it comes time to put words on paper, I entrust my carefully formed thoughts to the most efficient and easy to use mediums I can find.

The following are all things that have helped me before. None of them are sponsors, I've just genuinely appreciated them so much I want to share them with you. I did not arrange them in any particular order of importance.

1. Nanowrimo

    Every November, you can find a plethora of aspiring authors crafting their novels. So inspiring. The have pep-talks and helpful forums that encourage your word count and kill your "inner editor". Fantastic way to get the writing juices flowing.

2. Write or Die

    I use this when I'm stuck. Full of fun features such as a timer and word counter, this is any easy to use website that makes you write by penalizing you if you don't! Definitely helps with fiction writing when you're in a pinch or need to move on in your story.

3. Written? Kitten!

   This is a website that rewards you when you write. If you write so many words, it shows you a kitten. I'll be honest, I sometimes find this distracting, but still a cute way to pump those words out.

4. Microsoft Word

    I love this software. My long-time favorite. Enables me to do everything I need to when it comes to writing essays, taking notes, or outlining a book. Couldn't imagine going to school without it. Has repaid the $100 I spent on it over and over again.

5. PaperRater

   I use this with every school paper I write. Although it doesn't take into consideration the meaning of your words, it does take into consideration the structure of your essay. It concludes its diagnosis with a letter grade. Also checks for plagiarism. Super helpful when you're submitting an important paper. Best of all, it's free!

6. Citation Machine

    I use this with every paper I write. Using this site, I can look up the book I'm citing from. Before I began using it (I typically use the MLA citation style), I made sure it was up to date with the current acceptable citation requirements and formatting. To my delight, I found that it is. However, I do recommend that for each citation you open the physical copy of the book and manually type in the different pieces of required information. The website's information can vary widely from what the actual book says. Still, it is a huge help. It will generate the citation for you to copy and paste into your paper.

7. Evernote

    This is an app that I use on both my computer and my phone. When ever I want to sync information between the two devices, I put it into Evernote. I also use it to write on my phone when I don't have internet. I use the free package and this feature still works for me, even though Evernote claims you have to buy a more expensive version of the app to write offline. Also allows you to transfer pictures and such.
   
    There are two downsides to this that I've found. (1) It doesn't print very neatly. (2) It doesn't automatically back up to my computer's files. I have to copy and paste into Microsoft Word and sometimes it doesn't transfer very well.

8. Google Docs

    Haven't used this as much as Microsoft Word. Definitely worth using if you don't have Microsoft Word and want a free word processor. I love how this syncs easily between devices.

9. Purdue Online Writing Lab

   I use this whenever I  have a writing related question. They have some fantastic quick and easy reference sheets that are both comprehensive and informative.

10. Writer's Digest

   This is my inspiration. They have some great articles about publishing questions, as well as general writing tips, and encouragement for your writing life. Their free newsletter is stimulating and thought provoking.


I hope this has helped you as you maybe write a letter, an essay, or complete some other project. Let me know in the comments below if there are other resources you've used in the past and have loved. I'd love to hear about them!

For now, happy writing!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

chaos: my 2023 word of the year

an impromptu trip to florida