An Unforgettable Walmart Encounter

Not too long ago, I ran into a woman at Walmart as I was completing some necessary shopping. She was an older woman with friendly eyes.

She started talking with me as we both browsed the available planners. It wasn't long until she shared with me that she had recently lost her mother and had also lost three of her children.

With sadness, she advised me treasure the moments I had with family and friends.

I responded something to the effect of :
"I'm sorry. It's amazing how many opportunities we can miss and not even realize we missed them because we were too busy or distracted. I wonder what would happen if everyone just took a little more time to notice those around them and give an extra hug or word of encouragement."

She nodded and apologized for taking too much of my time (which I insisted she hadn't). We wished each other a Merry Christmas and went our separate ways.

I never thought I could be so impacted by something at a superficial place like Walmart. That conversation changed my attitude that day.

As I took time to slow down, I found myself being more appreciative of my cashier as well as for the closeness I share with my brother. Looking back, I'm thankful for that necessary reminder in such an unexpected place.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

chaos: my 2023 word of the year

an impromptu trip to florida

Top Ten Favorite Writing Resources